Mentoring Reflection Journal
After each mentoring session, each of you should make an entry on the
Journal Blog on Blackboard.
Each entry should give an assessment of your visit. Your entry should
address each of the general points below, but you do not need to
attend to each of the specific questions listed each week. The questions
are given as a framework to guide your reflection.
- Description of the mentoring session
- Which students attended? Was anyone late or did they have any problems?
- Describe your activities. What happened? What parts of the lesson plan did you complete?
- Interpretation of mentoring session
- What is your interpretation of what you saw or experienced?
- What observations did you make? What stood out this week? Why?
- What are your comments and
reactions about what you saw? What assumptions on your part
affected those observations?
- After reviewing the students' worksheets, what is your impression of
their knowledge, skills, and background? Does anything from the
worksheet surprise you?
- Connection to class
- How can you apply what you are learning in class to better understand
your experience? Did you feel technically prepared to work on
- How have the discussions from class about teaching and mentoring
helped in your interaction with the students? How did your
experience compare and contrast to that described in class
discussion and readings?
- Feedback on lesson plan and worksheets
- What worked and what didn't in the lesson plan?
- What could be improved?
- Future sessions
- Based on your experience this week, what projects or activities should
be included in the lesson plan for next week?
- Are there specific topics that need to be addressed in later lessons?
These topics could be areas of expressed interest for the
students or areas where there is some need for reinforcement.
Journal entries are due by 4pm on Monday after each after
school mentoring session.
After Monday, you should comment on at least two other mentors' posts. In
your comment you can talk about common experiences or give advice on
how to address problems raised in the entry.
Comments are due by noon on Thursdays.