CompSci 100e, Spring 2011, Prof. Rodger
Old Tests are
Frequently Asked Questions
this the right
Computer Science course for me?
do I submit my
- How do I copy files from one computer to another?
One way: To be able to copy files from your machine to your
Duke account, you will need a file transfer program such as ssh.
Go to OIT
and click on "Site License Software" and then "Available Software List"
and select ssh. It is free for Duke students. There are other file
transfer tools also there to choose from.
Another way: try
which seems to work well for java files, but not always for more
complicated files. For example, it doesn't work well with Alice files.
Course Environment Resources
- You will need to install Java, Eclipse and Ambient
- JAVA: If you are on a Mac, it probably comes with Java. Otherwise
to install go to
java.sun.com and download the Java Standard Edition (SE) platform.
- READ THIS NOTE FIRST about Eclipse as of Aug 2010. There are some
with Windows 7 and installing eclipse in the "Program Files". Instead install eclipse
in another location. For more info see
- ECLIPSE: After installing Java, install Eclipse by going to www.eclipse.org . You'll need to know if you have
32-bit or 64-bit and pick the appropriate one to install.
- AMBIENT: After installing Eclipse, start it up and follow these
- Duke University Software
Microsoft knows that reliable software is not cost
effective. According to studies, 90% to 95% of all bugs are
never discovered by users, and they don't affect performance. It's much
to release buggy software and fix the 5% to 10% of bugs people find and
- Bruce Schneier