Workshop Schedule June 17-21, 2013
This is a one-week followup workshop on Alice for those teachers
who attended the workshop in June 2012. This workshop is an opportunity
for those teachers to come together to learn about new Alice materials,
to talk about how
they are using Alice at their schools, and to develop new Alice materials.
The one-week Followup Alice workshop
will be held from (breakfast at 8:30am), 9am-4pm in LSRC D106 and includes
breakfast, lunch and snacks. There is no charge for the workshop.
Breakfast and lunch include demos and discussions.
Please see the Alice Symposium logistics page for directions, parking passes, and
housing at the Brookwood Inn.
Monday, June 17, 2013 - Day 1
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - Day 2
- Breakfast - Answer Questions
- Welcome Slides/Introductions
- Brainbuffet.com - humorous tutorials on different
- Island Beginner tutorial
- Teddy led us in going through this tutorial.
- If you use hebuilder or shebuilder then use the stand command as the
first command in
your program, then your person will have their hands down when you press
- Put videos and tutorial on tutorial page - TODO
- Making videos
- Camtasia - screen capture software for making tutorials. - Can get
educator discount ($99), can edit your video to add arrows, and highlight
- Jing - free version of capture software, limited to 5 minute videos,
good for tutorials
- To make a movie of an Alice world, on the PC, use the Alice feature to
export to video. On the Mac this does not work, so instead use Quicktime
- related - Screencasts.com - you can store videos for free here
- snagit (tool for graphics editing)
- Distler showed several demos from her students including one
where a student had put an image of an ipad and using the ipad in the
world. One where a student had made the avengers characters. Can she make
those models available?
Student alice world on using an IPAD
- For fade to black, she puts a large object in, makes it invisible by
changing the opacity to 0%. Sometimes it is better to instesd use
or you cannot click on it.
- She has the sky color so you can get it back, it is
H=216.28 S=63.55 B=79.61 R=74 G=125 B=203
- To lighten a billboard picture, go to seldom used properties for the
billboard, change emissive color to light gray. The picture should be
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - Day 3
- Finished teacher discussions on how they have been using Alice
- Filled out survey forms
- Materials on
Interactive zoo from Wendy Sue Evans
- Wanda Dann and Don Slater talked about Alice 2.3 and Alice 3.1
- Started working on lesson plans
- Daniel presented world he is working on
Thursday, June 20, 2013 - Day 4
- Attend Alice Symposium all day today, note this day starts at 8:30am
and ends at 5:15pm.
Friday, June 21, 2013 - Day 5
- Steve Cooper presented and also debugged several worlds
- Bella will work on a world that uses camera views that follow a person
- Elizabeth presented world she is working on
- Work on lesson plans
- Breakfast - Answer Questions
- Finish lesson plans
- Lesson plan presentations
- Completed post-test