CS Term Account Instructions
Term Accounts are short-term accounts, associated with semester
coursework, with minimal procedures for setup and expiration.
The initial account requests can be submitted either by instructors
or their TAs.
What you need to do:
- Please use the online Duke C.S.
Academic Term Accounts Form
to set up any computer accounts needed for courses for the current academic term.
This form is for UTA and class accounts only.
For other types of accounts, please see below.
- This form should be filled out by the
Instructor or TA only!
- Submit as many instances of the Form as you need for any courses that
you are teaching, but each instance should contain requests for
only one course and one account type. Many individuals
can be listed on the form.
- For each student account, you will need to provide the following information:
- Full name
- Duke NetID (same as ACPUB account name)
- If you know that you will need term accounts set up for everyone
in your class, you may also notify the lab staff of this (providing course
number and section) in lieu of using the Term Accounts Form. We ask that
this option be used with discretion, as it really takes much more time to
process. If you have only a few students who need term accounts, then please
use the form. All C.S. majors and minors already have C.S. computer accounts
(even if they don't recall getting one).
- Term accounts will be disabled two weeks after final exams,
unless the Accounts Manager is notified by the Instructor. An account can be
re-enabled if needed the following term. (The accounts are not
removed until a later date.)
- For non-C.S. students, please utilize ACPUB facilities, if at all
possible, as there is moderate overhead in the setup, maintenance,
and removal of computer accounts.
- If you need accounts created for any other purpose - such as for
collaborative research - then the regular
Computer Account Request Form
should be used.
Please do not use the Term Accounts Form for C.S. faculty, staff,
students (graduate, undergraduate major/minor), or for other guest
What your students need to do:
- Students with accounts set up via this form
may retrieve their account information (username / password)
online at the
Account Information Retrieval
page, using their NetID authentication.
Alternatively, they may pick up their information from
the Accounts Manager (or other Lab Staff), located on the first
floor of the department. Students should bring their Duke ID card
Document version 1.16
- Who is the Accounts Manager? Since this could change at any time, we
thought it best not to put a person's name in these instructions. To find
out who the Accounts Manager currently is, please
contact the Lab Staff,
or use the email address <firstname.lastname@example.org>.