CSL: Tape Backup Schedule and Retention
A brief description of CS data server tape backup procedure:
Note: the following procedure can be changed without notice.
- Full (level 0) backups are performed monthly, usually near the
start of the month. These include everything on most of
the departmental servers (home directories, project areas, etc).
- Daily incremental (level 5) backups are performed every morning.
These include any changes made since the most recent
full (or any lower level) backup.
- Full backups from January and July are kept indefinitely,
corresponding roughly with the end of the fall and spring semesters.
Other monthly backups are kept for: 2 years on-site and 1 year off-site.
Daily backups are kept for at least 1 month (currently 6),
then the tapes are reused.
- Backups are stored mostly on
with some older backups on
- If you have special backup needs, please use the online form
located at http://www.cs.duke.edu/requests/
to send in a request.
- For more information, see the online reference for the
commands, or contact the Lab Staff.