This document describes some of the administrative features of the
Majordomo e-mail listserve run by the CS department. For user features,
please see the associated Majordomo User's FAQ
Please send any comments, corrections, or suggestions to the Lab Staff.
Each list owner will need to know his/her administrative password
for the list to be able to complete the commands below. You must
contact the Lab Staff for this password. To change your list's
password, use the passwd command below.
Administrative Command List:
- approve [password] subscribe [listname] [address]
- Subscribe someone to your list, or approve subscription to a list
if subscription approval is required.
- approve [password] unsubscribe [listname] [address]
- Unsubscribe someone from your list, or approve unsubscription
from a list if unsubscription approval is required.
- passwd [listname] [old_password] [new_password]
- Change the password for your list.
- newinfo [listname] [password]
- Replace the information file that people get when they do "info
[list]" (or "subscribe [list]" if no "intro" file exists). It reads
everything after the "newinfo" command to end-of-message or the word
"EOF" on a line by itself as the new info for the list.
- newintro [listname] [password]
- Replace the introduction file that people get when they do
"intro [list]" or "subscribe [list]". It reads everything after the
"newintro" command to end-of-message or the word "EOF" on a line by
itself as the new info for the list.
- who [listname]
- Get list of subscribers to your list. This command will work
for the owner of the list even if the who_access option is set to
"closed (see configuration options)".
- which [address]
- Get list of the various lists to which [address] is
subscribed. This command may be disabled in the list's configuration
file by setting the who_access option to "closed (see configuration
The difference between intro and info files:
The info file should contain general information about
your list. It is the file that is accessable to most users by issuing
the info [listname] command. If there is no intro
file, the info file is included at the bottom of the welcome
message that is sent to users when they subscribe.
The intro file generally contains more specific
information about the list, including the names and/or email
addresses of the list's moderators, info about the list's owner,
specific info about the list's topic, the list's rules or standards,
or other information. If this file exists, it will be attached to the
bottom of the welcome message instead of the info" file.
Although one or both files may be restricted, generally the
info file is set to "open" (everyone has access), and the
intro file is set to "list", so that only list members have access
to that information.
If you have any questions or problems, please
contact the Lab Staff.