Windows Remote Access
We are currently experiencing an issue with the CS VPN that we are working with OIT to resolve. In the meantime, please use Stunnel to access the CS filesystems on Windows.
If you are outside the CS trusted
network, you will either need to use the
Duke CS VPN
will need to install stunnel to access your CS directories.
Examples of this include access from home
through your ISP, from the Duke wireless network or from a network
at another school.
Using the Duke CS VPN
- Open a browser and visit
- Change the Department option to Computer Science and use your
netid and password to login.
- Run the Cisco VPN installer, accepting all default settings.
- When the installation has completed, you can easily access your files by
running the Cisco VPN client, setting the Department to Computer Science and
You will then be able to access
filesystems and printers as you do when connected to the
departmental network. Just follow the instructions on
Mapping a Network Drive.
For more information on the Duke VPN, please see the following
- Download and install the latest
- Put the following files in the stunnel directory
(These files are only accessible from machines within the CS
network; if you need access to the files outside the department network
please contact the Lab Staff.)
The client.pem will allow you to establish the secure connection,
and the stunnel.conf file has all of the serrting to connect to the
servers, and use the client.pem file.
- You will need to uninstall on your computer.
- Select the
services and select .
Accessing Files and Printers via Stunnel
After you've completed the steps for Using Stunnel above, you can mount
network directories on your computer or access printers by using the following steps:
- In order to mount a directory, right-click on the
127.0.0.1. The computer will select an
available drive letter that is appropriate.
icon and select
. When the
dialog box appears,
enter the address
with your CS login ID.
- This same method used to mount a directory can also be used to
- Open the
and click .
the following name:
(replace with the name of the printer).
- To install the drivers, select the make and model of your printer, and click
(for a list of printer types
for your default settings.