Honors, Awards & Recognitions — 2012 Spring
- Jeff Chase had a 2003 paper on Cluster-on-Demand - which started his work on what is now called cloud computing - chosen as one of the "20 best papers in 20 years" for the conference in which it appeared, HPDC.
- Vince Conitzer was named a Bass Chair and will give a Thomas Langford lecture in the fall.
- Vince Conitzer's new journal, ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation, is now up and running.
- Vince Conitzer is program co-chair of AAMAS'12, the world's premier conference in agents and multiagent systems. The conference is in Valencia, Spain, in June 2012. He is also co-chairing the new IJCAI
- Bruce Donald was awarded the James B. Duke Distinguished Professorship of Computer Science.
- Melanie Eberhart, Computer Science Grants and Contracts Administrative Coordinator, graduated from the Research Administration Academy (RAA) on May 30. The RAA is a competetive placement program that features hands-on training in a robust combination of federal compliance and basic grants management functions, and is taught in a progression of courses that take participants through the life cycle of a sponsored project.
- Julian Genkins was in the ACM SRC (student research competition) at SIGCSE 2012 in March where he presented a poster and was selected as one of five finalists to also give a presentation.
- Alex Hartemink was selected to co-chair a session on "epigenomics" at PSB 2013.
- Alex Hartemink will be the director of the CBB program starting in July.
- Bruce Maggs was the keynote speaker at the 15th IEEE Global
Internet Symposium in Orlando, FL.
- Kamesh Munagala and Drew Hilton were ranked among the top 5% of all undergraduate instructors at Duke during the 2011 fall semester.
- Susan Rodger was a keynote speaker at CWIC 2012 and took seven undergraduates and one high school student with her to the conference.
- Dan Sorin was selected for a Bass Chair and named W.H. Gardner Jr. Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
For more achievements, see the alum news page