Summer 2013 Issue | All Issues | Duke Computer Science Follow us on

Staff News - Gail Smith Retires

The Admin staff extends best wishes to Gail Smith (center, front) as she retires after 28 years of service to the Department of Computer Science

When Gail Smith joined the Department back in 1985 the Levine Science Research Center hadn’t even reached the drawing board and Computer Science was graduating only a few PhDs each year. With offices in the North Building and parking for everyone right at the door, Gail found a small, busy, close-knit group of faculty, students and staff.

As the Department grew so did Gail. Wearing a number of different hats over the years, Gail supported many faculty and more than a couple different Chairs. “I liked how my job kept changing. I was always learning new tools and new ways to do things,” Gail said recently.

Famous and beloved for her pleasing demeanor and her steady spirit, Gail was the go-to admin staff member for countless Department members over the years. “If Gail told you something was so, you could take it to the bank,” said Pankaj K. Agarwal, Professor and one of the Chairs Gail helped support. Richard Lucic, Associate Chair, says, “She is always up for the challenge and always dependable, the person you can always count on to get the job done with a friendly smile and pleasant spirit.” Everyone who knew and relied on Gail joins her fellow admin staff member, Pam Spencer, in telling her, “With your quiet spirit and your warm heart you have changed the way I look at things. I am truly sad to see you leave.” Gail’s well-deserved retirement after 28 years will be a joy for her and her husband Ray, but for the rest of us, her departure is a big loss. She will be greatly missed by everyone.

Duke Computer Science Threads Newsletter Link to CS home page