Alexander J. Hartemink
Professor of Computer Science, Statistical Science, and Biology; Director of the Graduate Program in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Faculty Group: Artificial Intelligence
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT, 2001
S.M., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT, 1997
M.Phil., Economics, Oxford University, 1996
B.S., Mathematics, Duke University, 1994
B.S., Physics, Duke University, 1994
A.B., Economics, Duke University, 1994
Honors & Awards
DARPA Computer Science Study Panel, 2008; David and Janet Vaughn Brooks Distinguished Teaching Award, 2007;Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship, 2004; NSF Faculty Early Career Development Award (CAREER), 2004; ORAU Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Award, 2002; Merck/MIT Graduate Fellowship in Informatics, 2000; Rhodes Scholarship, 1994; NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 1994; Julia Dale Prize for Mathematics, 1994; Karl Menger Award for Mathematics, 1993; Barry M. Goldwater Memorial Scholarship, 1992; Presidential Scholarship (White House Commission), 1990; Angier B. Duke Scholarship, 1990; Kalin Award for Mathematics, 1990.
Computational biology, machine learning, Bayesian statistics, systems biology, transcriptional regulation, genomics and epigenomics, graphical models, Bayesian networks, computational neurobiology, classification, feature selection.
- Mayhew, M., Robinson, J., Jung, B., Haase, S., & Hartemink, A. (2011) “A generalized model for multi-marker analysis of cell cycle progression in synchrony experiments.” Intelligent Systems in Molecular Biology 2011 (ISMB11). Bioinformatics, 27, July 2011. pp. i295–i303.
- Robinson, J. & Hartemink, A. (2010) “Learning non-stationary dynamic Bayesian networks.” Journal of Machine Learning Research, 11, December 2010. pp. 3647–3680.
- Gordân, R., Narlikar, L., & Hartemink, A. (2010) “Finding regulatory DNA motifs using alignment-free evolutionary conservation information.” Nucleic Acids Research, 38, April 2010. p. e90.
- Wasson, T. & Hartemink, A. (2009) “An ensemble model of competitive multi-factor binding of the genome.” Genome Research, 19, November 2009. pp. 2101–2112.
- Gordân, R., Hartemink, A., & Bulyk, M. (2009) “Distinguishing direct versus indirect transcription factor-DNA interactions.” Genome Research, 19, November 2009. pp. 2090–2100.
- Orlando, D., Lin, C., Bernard, A., Wang, J., Socolar, J., Iversen, E., Hartemink, A., & Haase, S. (2008) “Global control of cell-cycle transcription by coupled CDK and network oscillators.” Nature, 453, 12 June 2008. pp. 944–947.
Extended List of Publications
Publications by Alexander J. Hartemink