"Picture a Scientist" Movie
Join us for a screening of the Picture A Scientist movie over the weekend of November 13-15. You have a 72-hour period over that weekend to view this powerful and timely 2020 documentary featured at the Tribeca Film Festival. See the movie trailer at https://vimeo.com/405966332.
Please register for the film by November 12. Computer Science participants, please select "My department will schedule its own discussion." A link to the movie will be emailed to you.
Then, plan to attend a follow-up discussion with a Duke Computer Science panel on Tuesday, November 17 at 12:00 Noon EST, hosted by the Duke Department of Computer Science and the Duke Computer Science Student Union (CSSU). Learn more about this event.
More about the Movie:
Picture A Scientist is a feature-length (97 min.) documentary film chronicling the growing number of researchers who are writing a new chapter for women scientists. A biologist, a chemist and a geologist lead viewers on a journey deep into their own experiences in the sciences, overcoming brutal harassment, institutional discrimination, and years of subtle slights to revolutionize the culture of science. From cramped labs to spectacular field stations, we also encounter scientific luminaries who provide new perspectives on how to make science itself more diverse, equitable, and open to all. Read review of the film in Nature.
Discussion Panel Participants:
- Moderator - Kate O'Hanlon, Duke Masters 2018, now Duke Computer Science Teaching Associate
- Shani Daily, Associate Professor of the Practice of Electrical & Computer Engineering and Computer Science
- Sudeepa Roy, Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Belanie Nagiel, Duke Class of 2020 majored in Computer Science and minored in Mathematics and Spanish; now a Microsoft software engineer.
- Prajakta Kalmegh, Duke PhD 2019, now Principal Engineer at Unravel Data.