Susan H. Rodger
Professor of the Practice of Computer Science, Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Faculty Area:
- Computer Science Education
- rodger at cs.duke.edu
- D237 LSRC
- (919) 660-6595
- Web page:
Ph.D., Purdue University, 1989
B.S., North Carolina State University, 1983
Honors & Awards
IBM Faculty Award, 2008
Finalist Candidate for NEEDS Premier Award for Excellence in EngineeringEducation Courseware, 2007, for software JFLAP.
ACM Distinguished Member, 2006.
Rensselaer Distinguished Teaching Fellowship, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1994.
ACM Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award, 2013.
Computer science education, interactive and visual tools for teaching, algorithm animation, design and analysis of algorithms, data structures, geometric algorithms, and parallel algorithms.
- Stephen Cooper, Susan H. Rodger, Wanda Dann, Madeleine Schep, RoxAnn H. Stalvey, Growing a K-12 Community of Practice, Fourty-sixth SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, p. 290-295, Kansas City, Missouri, 2015.
- Susan Rodger, Dwayne Brown, Michael Hoyle, Daniel MacDonald, Michael Marion, Elizabeth Onstwedder, Bella Onwumbiko, and Edwin Ward, Weaving Computing into all Middle School Disciplines, The 19th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2014)}, p. 207-212 Uppsala, Sweden, 2014.
- Ari Korhonen, Thomas Naps, Charles Boisvert, Pilu Crescenzi, Ville Karavirta, Linda Mannila, Bradley Miller, Briana Morrison, Susan H. Rodger, Rocky Ross, and Clifford A. Shaffer, User Requirements and Design Strategies for Open Source Interactive Computer Science eBooks, Proceedings of the ITiCSE Working Group Reports conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education-working group reports, p. 53-72, Canterbury, United Kingdom, 2013.
- Susan Rodger, Melissa Dalis, Chitra Gadwal, Jenna Hayes, Peggy Li, Liz Liang, Francine Wolfe, and Wenhui Zhang, Integrating Computing into Middle Schools Disciplines Through Projects, Fourty-third SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Raleigh, NC, p. 421-426, 2012.
- Stephen Cooper, Wanda Dann, Dan Lewis, Pam Lawhead, Susan Rodger, Madeleine Schep, and RoxAnn Stalvey, A Pre-College Professional Development Program, The 16th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2011), Darmstadt, Germany, p. 188-192. 2011.
- Susan H. Rodger and Thomas W. Finley, JFLAP - An Interactive Formal Languages and Automata Package, ISBN 0763738344, Jones and Bartlett, 2006.