Assistant Professor of the Practice of Computer Science
- Faculty Area:
- Algorithms, computational economics, and computer science education.
- btfain at cs.duke.edu
- D104 LSRC
- (919) 660-6504
- Web page:
Ph.D., Duke University, 2019
M.S., Duke University, 2018
B.A., Transylvania University, 2014
Honors & Awards
Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Award, 2019
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2019
Algorithmic fairness, computational social choice, algorithmic game theory, approximation algorithms, computational economics.
- Chen, X., Fain, B., Lyu, L., and Munagala, K. Proportionally Fair Clustering. In Proceedings of the 2019 International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), 2019.
- Fain, B., Goel, A., Munagala, K., and Prabhu, N. Random Dictators with a Random Referee: Constant Sample Complexity Mechanisms for Social Choice. In Proceedings of the Thirty-Third AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2019.
- Fain, B., Munagala, K., and Shah, N. Fair Allocation of Indivisible Public Goods. In Proceedings of the 2018 ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, 2018.
- Fain, B., Goel, A., and Munagala, K. The Core of The Participatory Budgeting Problem. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Web and Internet Economics, 2016.