Chair of Computer Science, Bishop-MacDermott Family Professor of Computer Science, Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Faculty Area:
- Systems & Architecture
- junyang at cs.duke.edu
- D327 LSRC
- (919) 660-6587
- Web page:
Ph.D., Stanford University, 2001
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1995
Honors & Awards
ACM Distinguished Member, 2019
Google Faculty Research Award, 2014
David and Janet Vaughan Brooks Teaching Award, 2013
IBM Faculty Award, 2006
NSF CAREER Award, 2003
Databases and data-intensive systems in general, with particular interests in scalable data analytics and computational journalism.
- Brett Walenz, Stavros Sintos, Sudeepa Roy, and Jun Yang. "Learning to sample: Counting with Complex Queries." Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, to appear, October 2019.
- Zhengjie Miao, Sudeepa Roy, and Jun Yang. "Explaining wrong queries using small examples." In Proceedings of the 2019 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pages 503-520, Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 2019.
- Matthias Boehm, Arun Kumar, and Jun Yang. Data management in machine learning systems. Morgan & Claypool Publishers, February 2019.
- Botong Huang and Jun Yang. "Cümülön-D: data analytics in a dynamic spot market." Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 10(8):865-876, April 2017.
- You Wu, Pankaj K. Agarwal, Chengkai Li, Jun Yang, and Cong Yu. "Computational fact checking through query perturbations." ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 42(1):4:1-4:41, March 2017. Extended version of a paper by the same authors in PVLDB 2014.
- Sarah Cohen, Chengkai Li, Jun Yang, and Cong Yu. "Computational journalism: A call to arms to database researchers." In Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR '11), Asilomar, California, USA, January 2011. Third-place winner of the Best Outrageous Ideas and Vision Track Paper Competition sponsored by the Computing Community Consortium, January 2011.