Adjunct Associate Professor of Computer Science, Duke University; Co-founder/CTO - Unravel Data Systems
- Faculty Area:
- Systems & Architecture
- shivnath at cs.duke.edu
- Web page:
Ph.D., Computer Science, Stanford University, 2005
B.Tech., Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1999
Honors & Awards
NSF CAREER, 2007-2011
IBM Faculty Award, 2008
IBM Faculty Award, 2007
IBM Faculty Award, 2006
Parallel and distributed database systems, MapReduce systems likeHadoop, Data management for cloud computing.
- H. Herodotou, H. Lim, G. Luo, N. Borisov, L. Dong, F. B. Cetin, and S.Babu. "Starfish: A Self-tuning System for Big Data Analytics." In Proc. of the Fifth Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), January 2011.
- N. Borisov, S. Babu, N. Mandagere, and S. Uttamchandani. "Warding offthe Dangers of Data Corruption with Amulet." In Proc. of the 2011 ACM Intl. Conf. on Management of Data (SIGMOD), June 2011.
- H. Herodotou and S. Babu. "Profiling, What-if Analysis, and Cost-basedOptimization of MapReduce Programs." In Proc. of the 2011 Intl. Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB),August 2011.
- H. Herodotou, F. Dong, and S. Babu. "No One (Cluster) Size Fits All:Automatic Cluster Sizing for Data-intensive Analytics."In Proc. of the ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing 2011 (ACM SOCC 2011),October 2011.
- S. Babu, N. Borisov, S. Uttamchandani, R. Routray, and A. Singh. "DIADS: Addressing the "My-Problem-or-Yours" Syndrome with IntegratedSAN and Database Diagnosis." In Proc. of the USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies(FAST), February 2009.