NOTE: ALL PROPOSALS MUST BE COORDINATED WITH THE RESEARCH ADMINISTRATOR.
Proposal process starts when the following has been provided:
- Title, start date, duration
- Funder due date
- URL of RFP
- All personnel names and roles
- All departments/institutions (with admin contact info)
- Full list of budget elements - examples include:
- PI/ Co-PI Effort/ Year,
- PD Effort/ Year (if any),
- # Person-trips/ Year (domestic and international),
- Human Subjects Payments, and etc.
Notify the Research Administrator (RA) of your intent to submit as soon as possible, but not later than the deadlines below:
- Single/Multiple CS PI Proposals: 20 business days before proposal deadline
- Multiple Departments and/or Schools and/or Universities or other institutions: 25 businessdays before deadline as set by lead organization (proposal deadline if Duke is lead)
- SPS Finalized: 7 Business Days prior to sponsor deadline.
- All application components — including a mature draft of the technical/scientific section(s) — must be received by ORS no later than 8:00 am five (5) business days prior to the sponsor’s deadline. To meet this requirement, the proposal entry in Duke’s Sponsored Projects System (SPS) must have routed through and been approved at the non-central unit levels and be in a state of “Pending Central Approval” (PCA). See more at Proposal Review and Approval at Duke.
- Requests for waiver must go to the Chair in writing a minimum of 24-hours PRIOR TO THE SPS DEADLINE, with a CC to the CS RA.
- 6 business days – NSF Research.gov/ FastLane record created, with ‘Share Proposal with SPO/ AOR’ status.
- 5 business days (8:00AM) – Final supporting documents, budget, and mature draft project description or research strategy loaded in submission portal.
Proposal Preparation Resources
- NSF Proposal Preparation Guidelines
- NIH Information for Researchers
- Fringe Benefit Rates
- Sample Budget Justification PDF
- Statment of Work Guidelines PDF
- Cost of One Grad Student AY2021-22 PDF | Spreadsheet
- Facilities Description PDF
- Sample Postdoctoral Mentoring Plan PDF
- NSF Data Management Guidance - CISE Proposals & Awards
- NSF-approved Broadening Participation in Computing (BPC) Plan