Possible DUS-Approved Course Substitutions for CS Majors or Minors (August 2018)
For any of these substitutions, you MUST REQUEST approval for the substitution by sending email to email@example.com. We need to check your record to make sure this substitution makes sense in your case. Then once you have approval and are taking the course(s), email again so we can adjust your record to reflect the substitution.
Note that a course below may be listed in more than one place, but can only be used once to satisfy a requirement.
No online courses can count for any substitution.
Substitutions for Minors
Stats Pre-req for the CompBio minor
One of the following courses can be substituted for the Stats pre-req:
- BME 244
- Bio 215
- Bio 304
- Phy 414
Substitutions for Majors
Stats requirement for the CS BS major
The following course can be substituted for the Stats requirement for the CS BS major.
- BME 244
We do not allow substitutions for Compsci 201. Every student must take CompSci 201.
CompSci 230 can be replaced by two courses with one of the combinations listed below. Any courses used to replace CompSci 230 cannot count for any other requirement for the CS major.
- Math 371 (combinatorics) AND one of these: Math 230 (probability),Math 305, Math 375, Math 404 or Math 487.This may be a good option for a student also majoring or minoring in Math
- Math 371 and Physics 264
- Stat 210 and Stat 360. This may be a good option for a student also majoring or minoring in statistics.
- BME 244 and BME 271(ECE 280). This may be a good option for a student in BME.
- Math 230 and BME 271(ECE 280)
CompSci 532 can be used in place of CompSci 330.
CompSci 510 can be used in place of CompSci 310.
DUS-approved Electives for the CS Major (AB or BS)
Three of the five electives for the BS major and one of the three electives for the AB major must be a CompSci course. Any course that is cross-listed is a CS course and counts. The other two electives for the major can be 200-level or above CS, Math, Stats, ECE or DUS-approved, or Independent Study.
Here are some of the courses that are currently DUS-approved electives.
- Econ 210D
- Econ 208
- Econ 372
- Econ 377A
- Econ 413
- Econ 674
- ME 555 - Virtual Reality Systems
Courses that will NOT count as a DUS-approved elective
- Econ 281A
- VMS 198
- VMS 326S Unity programming
- ECE 290 Software Skills
- I&E 550 (cryptoventures)
- ISS 290 Humanities Data Mining + Meaning
- ISS 320S